· Type your paper on a computer and print it out on standard, white 8.5 x
· Double-space the text of your paper, and use a legible font (e.g. Times
New Roman). The font size should be 12 pt.
· Set the margins of your document to 1 inch on all sides.
· Indent the first line of paragraphs- use tab key.
· Create a header that numbers all pages consecutively in the upper
right-hand corner, one-half inch from the top and flush with the right
margin. (Note: Your instructor may ask that you omit the number on
your first page. Always follow your instructor's guidelines.)
· Use italics throughout your essay for the titles of longer works and, only
when absolutely necessary, providing emphasis.
· If you have any endnotes, include them on a separate page before your
Works Cited page. Entitle the section Notes (centered, unformatted).
Formatting First Page:
· Do not make a title page for your paper unless specifically requested.
· In the upper left-hand corner of the first page, list your name, your
instructor's name, the course, and the date. Again, be sure to use
· Double space again and center the title. Do not underline, italicize, or
place your title in quotation marks; write the title in Title Case (standard
capitalization), not in all capital letters.
· Double space between the title and the first line of the text.
· Create a header in the upper right-hand corner that includes your last
name, followed by a space with a page number; number all pages
consecutively with Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), one-half inch from
the top and flush with the right margin. (Note: Your instructor or other
readers may ask that you omit last name/page number header on your
first page. Always follow instructor guidelines.)
Works Cited Page
When you are gathering book sources, be sure to make note of the following bibliographic items: author name(s), book title, publication date, publisher, place of publication. The medium of publication for all “hard copy” books is Print.
Basic Format The author’s name or a book with a single author's name appears in last name, first name format. The basic form for a book citation is:
Lastname, Firstname. Title of Book. City of Publication: Publisher,
Year of Publication. Medium of Publication.
Electronic Sources (Web Article)
Provide the author name, article name in quotation marks, title of the Web magazine in italics, publisher name, publication date, medium of publication, and the date of access. Remember to use n.p. if no publisher name is available and n.d. if no publishing date is given.
Bernstein, Mark. "10 Tips on Writing the Living Web." A List Apart: For People
Who Make Websites. A List Apart Mag., 16 Aug. 2002. Web. 4 May 2009.
Books with more than one author:
The first given name appears in last name, first name format; subsequent author names appear in first name last name format.
Gillespie, Paula, and Neal Lerner.